Subtext is a rapidly growing real estate development company specializing in the development of urban multifamily and student housing communities across the country. With over $1 billion of projects successfully completed and over $1.6 billion in development, we are seeking a bright, passionate, and hardworking individual to help execute our mission of delivering a best-in-class resident experience. This is a unique opportunity for a self-motivated and driven individual to join a dynamic development company and make significant contributions to our ambitious growth plan.
The Preconstruction Manager will lead the efforts to establish pricing and validate project viability during the preconstruction phase of each project. They will help develop and implement the corporate standards for parametric, conceptual, and detail estimating, and compile cost history used to substantiate pricing received from our contractor partners in each market. Responsibilities will include review and verification of accuracy and completeness of all project documents received as well as performing quantity take-offs, constructability reviews, and value engineering analyses for all projects
Job Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain parametric cost models for all Subtext product types.
- Continuously update and refine Subtext cost history based on current market conditions.
- Conducting detailed analysis of contract documents and specifications for all Subtext projects to identify risk points.
- Capturing and understanding trade scopes and communicating gaps / missing information.
- Perform detailed review of the general conditions and project-specific general requirements provided by general contractors.
- Perform detailed review of proposal, qualifications, and pricing provided by general contractors to identify risk points and best value.
- Performing conceptual quantity take-offs to support pre-development efforts and validate market viability.
- Solicit qualifications and gross metric pricing information from general contractors during pre-development.
- Coordinate with general contractor to establish proposal schedule and project specific bidding strategy.
- Review general contractor and equity partner proposed contract terms to identify risk points.
- Provide development team with hard cost budget at each phase of the project based on parametric modeling, cost history, and project-specific general contractor pricing data.
- Recognizing risks related to project-specific requirements, site, schedule, and market conditions/constraints.
- Generate, coordinate, and manage Trend Log between each milestone estimate to manage cost events and value engineering opportunities. Provide variance reports for each milestone estimate to communicate scope development.
- Prepare comparison analysis to previous estimate and develop a clear and concise message to explain the variances for each of the project stakeholders.
- Provide cost review and validation of general contractor submitted change order requests.
- Develop and maintain budget for all owner-provided materials, labor, and equipment for the project. Solicit proposals from owner-contracted vendors and coordinate with development manager to establish procurement schedule and make award.
- Supervising, directing, coaching, training, and mentoring direct and indirect reports.
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with all project stakeholders, specifically general contractors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Engineering and/or 5-7 years of equivalent experience required. Some onsite experience preferred.
- Successfully led pursuits between $50 -$100 million construction contract value.
- Five (5) years of experience with Construction Management and/or Design-Build delivery methods.
- Five (5) years of experience with Multi-Family Construction.
- Knowledge and understanding of different construction methods, planning, scheduling, sequencing, potential problems, and timelines.
- Extensive knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity take-off procedures, trade contractor procurement, pricing and bid closing procedures.
- Experience estimating multiple scopes and working knowledge of applicable products and systems.
- Ability to extrapolate cost data from a wide range of sources, able to build a conceptual estimate without drawings/specifications.
- Working knowledge of estimating/construction technology and tools.
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and demonstrates behaviors consistent with Subtext core values.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive Compensation
- Profit Sharing
- Vacation and Sick Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Employer Pays 100% of Employee Premiums for Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Laptop & Cell Phone Allowance
Subtext’s corporate office is in Saint Louis, Missouri. Relocation to the Greater Saint Louis area is required.
To apply for this job email your resume to email@example.com